Green Card Lawyer


Do You Qualify For Permanent Residence Through A Family Member?

The Law Offices of offer a full range of services for immigration clients and their family members – spouses, children, parents, brothers, and sisters.


Our Services Cover The Following Types Of Cases:

cb_bullet MARRIAGE




cb_bullet ADOPTION





Often, our clients are citizens or permanent residents who want to marry someone who does not have valid immigration papers to live in the United States. Sometimes the immigrant is already living in the United States. Other times the immigrant is still living in his or her country.

John, a U.S. citizen, wants to marry Louisa, who lives in Brazil. They have arranged for Louisa to visit John next month on a visitor visa. John seeks to file papers to immigrate her as soon as they get married.

A key concern, we inform John, is Louisa’s knowledge. Does Louisa know about John’s intentions? If she knows about John’s ideas, and she plans to stay in the United States and get married, her visit is probably a bad idea. The U.S. government may interpret her entry as fraudulent – since she was intending to stay, not just visit, in the United States.

We advise John a safer course is to file a fiancée visa. This means canceling their current plans. This means a longer period of separation right now. But we explain, once Louisa arrives, they can live together happily ever after in the United States.

On the other hand, if Louisa had already been here on a valid visitor visa when John suddenly decides to get married, they may be able to immediately file her immigration paperwork. She can complete the documents for her green card here without going back to Brazil.



Some clients experience a divorce or separation after the family immigration petition has been filed. We assess the situation and make recommendations to help clients avoid future problems and, whenever possible, still obtain a green card.

If you have been married for less than two years when your green card is approved, it will be approved on a conditional basis. Your green card is only valid for two years. Before the time is up, you must apply to remove the condition along with your spouse, allowing you full permanent residence status. If you are no longer married, or your spouse has died, the immigration process is more difficult. You will need to prove you qualify to remove the condition by yourself.



Many clients filed family-based petitions for immigration documents a long time ago. They do not know the status of the paperwork. They do not know if the paperwork has been canceled. They do not know if the paperwork is still valid. They do not know if they must start over again.

Maria, age 23, is curious about her immigration status. Papers were filed by her lawful permanent resident father several years ago. Because she is now an adult, friends have told she has to wait longer to get an interview.

Maria is engaged to a lawful permanent resident. If she gets married, she wants to know if this will help her get a green card sooner. She wants to know if she has to start the immigration process over again.

Her inquiries are not simple. To assist her, there are still many questions to be answered. For example, when did her father file papers? What papers, exactly, did her father file? Is her father still a lawful permanent resident or has he became a U.S. citizen? Will she have to return to her home country for her immigration interview? How did Maria enter this country – with or without permission?

To help Maria, we need to analyze her old papers. We can then explore all options open to her – enabling her to make an intelligent decision about the best way to become a lawful permanent resident.



Unfortunately, some immigrant marriages involve spousal and child abuse. The abuse may be physical, mental, emotional, or financial.

One spouse, a U.S. citizen, controls, mistreats, or harms the immigrant spouse, who does not have immigration documents. The abuser threatens to call the police to deport his spouse if she tells anyone about the abuse or violence.

In many cases, we can help the spouse who is abused obtain immigration benefits under a special program known as the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Our office can also assist immigrants who were abused as children.



Sometimes a relative or friend wants to adopt a child who does not have immigration documents. Our immigration law office offers a unique combination for such matters – experience in handling immigration cases for families and experience in handling adoptions in state courts.

Our experience includes marriage, divorce, child custody and other issues for marriages between immigrants from other countries and U.S. residents or citizens.

Jenny, a U.S. citizen, wants to file papers to immigrate her nephew and niece. She visits our Avondale green card office to discuss the best way to handle her situation.

Her sister abandoned the children several years ago. Jenny has raised them since her sister disappeared. The oldest child, Hector, is 15 years old and will turn 16 in about eight months. Jenny knows she has to adopt them before she is allowed to immigrate them.

We explain to Jenny that she does not have much time. Hector’s adoption has to be completed by the time he turns 16. The adoption process takes at least six months. In this case, it might take longer. Jenny must notify Hector’s parents that she plans to adopt them. Yet, Jenny has no clues where Hector’s mother and father have lived for almost ten years.

We emphasize there is no time for delay. There is no room for mistakes. If Jenny is going to take action, we advise her, she has to take action quickly.



Our services including preparing clients for their green card interviews. Some take place in the United States. Other times you have to return to your home country for the interview.

Adjustment of Status

If you live in the U.S., you may qualify for a green card interview to “adjust your status” from an undocumented immigrant to a lawful permanent resident at an immigration office near your home.

Consular Processing

For immigrants living outside the United States, the only way to obtain permanent resident status is through an interview at the Embassy or Consulate in or near their country of origin.

It is also the only option for many immigrants who have entered the United States without inspection or authorization. However, returning to your country of origin could cause major problems for you and your family. If you’re in this situation, talk with an immigration attorney before making final plans whether to leave the U.S. or not.



If your family immigration petition or adjustment of status application is denied or rejected, you have a short period of time to contest the decision. Our law office has vast experience in handling all types of immigration appeals. But you must act quickly – often in 30 days or less.

Any questions? If you have any questions about how Carlos Batara can help you earn a green card and win permanent resident status . . .